He was born on March 13, 1950. In 1968 he began his studies at the Faculty of Architecture, University of Venice, and also conducted research in the visual arts. He soon began to take part in numerous solo and group exhibitions. In 1970 he collaborated on the project for the WIG 74 competition in the city of Vienna, and took part in the competition held in Modena for a monu-ment to the Italian Resistance movement. He attended the International University of Studio Arts in Venice. In 1970 he also developed an interest in industrial design. In 1973 he studied at the Faculty of Architecture in Venice and graduated with a dissertation on the history of Vienna between 1918 and 1934. In 1975 he collaborated with the Institute of History and Architecture in Venice and the Vienna Akademie für Angewandte Kunst on the organization of a major ex-hibition on the Socialist Era in Vienna. Piva’s research continued in 1980 in the “Vienna rossa” exhibition sponsored by the City of Rome.
In 1980 he was hired to design the Kuwait Embassy in Qatar, while he was also designing architecture for Italy. In 1981 he designed the display spaces for several chains of clothing stores. In 1983 he was invited to a series of conferences at the Paciﬁc Design Center in Los Angeles and also oversaw the ideas put forward for renovation of the Lingotto FIAT in Turin.
In 1985 he planned the refurbishment of C. Jourdan’s main location in Paris. In 1986 he planned the renovation of Palazzo Remer in Venice. In 1987 he received a special mention at the 13th Compasso d’Oro.
In 1988 he became an associate professor at the Akademie für Angewandte Kunst in Vienna, and was given a full professorship in 1991.
He left us on July 6, 2017 but his works will always remain in the heart of any quality design lover.